Parenting is hard work. No new news there, right? Thankfully you are not alone. You have the Creator who is eager to communicate with you through prayer (and other means) to guide your every step. God has given us His word as a means for praying over our children. Check out some ideas of scriptures you can use in your prayer time below.
Scriptures You Can Pray Over Your Kids
1. You can ask for God’s favor on your child by praying Numbers 6:24-26
- “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace”
2. Ask God to use your child to spread His love by praying Matthew 5:16
- “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven”.
3. Ask God to protect your child from being timid and to give them courage by praying 2 Timothy 1:7:
- “For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline”.
4. Pray that God would keep your child from being anxious by praying Philippians 4:6:
- “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God”.
5. Pray that your child’s thoughts would be pure by praying Philippians 4:8:
- “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.”
6. Pray that your child will grow in grace and the knowledge of Jesus by praying 2 Peter 3:18 and Philippians 3:10-11:
- “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen” (2 Peter 3:18)
- “I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead” (Philippians 3:10-11).
7. Ask God to use your child to carry out his mission on the earth by praying Matthew 28:18-20:
- “And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
These are just a few examples of how you can use God’s word as guide for how to pray for your child. There really is nothing more powerful you can do for them.
Other Ideas/Subjects to Pray for:
1. Pray for their physical health
2. Pray for their safety in school
3. Pray for their education
4. Pray for their purity
5. Pray for their future spouse/kids
6. Pray for their desire to know and follow God fully
7. Pray for your relationship
8. Pray for their ability to choose good friends
9. Pray for their friends
10. Pray for them to have a Christ-like attitude
11. Pray they seek forgiveness
12. Pray for their safety away from home
13. Pray for their souls
14. Pray for their ability to choose a suitable career