2018 is so last year! We are gearing up for another exciting year here at Second Baptist. Here are the dates of some exciting events that we have planned for the Children’s Ministry this year:
- January 16: Wednesday Night Activities Begin (6-7PM)
- February 10: Worship Arts Begins (5:30-7PM) (Sunday Nights – Feb. 10,17,24 March 3,10,31 April 7 & 14)
- February 27: Family Worship Night/Church Bible Drill (Cabin 6-7PM)
- March 1: Registration Opens for JoyWorks Camp @ OBU (For: Completed 3rd-5th Grade/Cost: $230)
- March 9: Regional Bible Drill @ Baring Cross Baptist Sherwood 9:30AM
- March 20: Spring Break (No Wednesday Night Activities)
- March 30: State Bible Drill @ FBC Sherwood
- April 21: Easter
- May 15: Spring Lotta (Last Wednesday of the Semester)
- June 2-6: VBS 6-8PM
- July 8-12: JoyWorks Camp @ OBU (For: Completed 3rd-5th Grade/ Cost: $230)
Fall is finally here and the holiday season is fast approaching. This is my favorite time of the year because it brings families together. Family time has always been very valuable to me and family gatherings always bring me so much joy. Here at Second Baptist we have been working hard to plan some fun family-friendly events, and we have two great events coming soon!
The first family event is our annual Lotta Fall Carnival. Lotta Fall Carnival will be Wednesday, October 31 from 6:00-7:30PM. The event will be held in the 11th Street parking lot of Second Baptist Church. There will be a Trunk-Or-Treat, inflatables for the kids, and FREE hot dogs. Bring your family to Lotta Fall Carnival on October 31. We guarantee that you will have a lotta fun and will leave with a lotta candy!
The second family event is Jingle Jam: A Sense-ible Christmas. Jingle Jam is an engaging production that has Christmas music, funny skits, stage games, and a Christmas story presentation. Jingle Jam will be Wednesday, December 12 from 6:00-7:00PM. This will be an event for youth, children, and their families. Jingle Jam is a fun Christmas Party for the whole family.
We pray that these events will bring your family closer together this holiday season, and we look forward to seeing you at both of these events.
Being the structured person that I am I like to give things themes and titles. As I have spent time serving on staff at Second, I have been trying to figure out the main thing I want to focus on this year. After much thinking and praying, it was revealed to me what our theme should be in the Children’s Ministry this year. It became pretty obvious to me since I am new to Second and still getting to know people. The theme that I want us to focus on this year in the Children’s Ministry is “Building Relationships”. Building Relationships is so vital to our Christian lives for two reasons: We are called to live in fellowship and we are called to share our faith.
- “They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.” Acts 2:42 God created each one of us to live in fellowship and build community. It is important for Christians to be surrounded by a solid community that will encourage them, teach them, pray for them, and hold them accountable. Here at Second we offer different ways for people to build that type of community with different types of groups and activities.
- “Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20 Building relationships gives Christians opportunities to share their faith and disciple believers. Christians cannot truly minister to people until we build trusting relationships. Discipleship is a process that requires building relationships. All Christians are called to make disciples; therefore, all Christians have to build relationships.
As we journey through this year together, I want to challenge you, our kids, and myself to focus on building relationships inside and outside the church. There are still many of you at Second that I do not know, but I am excited to get to know you and hear your story. Lets reach out to people and build a solid community here at Second and in the community of Arkadelphia. Build Relationships!
-Jacob Jenkins, Children’s Pastor
I wanted you guys to be aware of some events that we have this Fall so you can mark your calendars.
- September 9 – October 28: Eight weeks of Worship Arts
- October 4: National Bring your Bible to School day
- October 31: Lotta
- November 21: Thanksgiving Break (No Wednesday Night Activities
- December 12: Jingle Jam Family Christmas Celebration (Last Wednesday of the Semester)
- January 16: Wednesday night activities resume
Below is the list of lessons that we will be covering during Sunday School this Fall! If you would like additional activities or information, please use the take home sheets that we send home weekly with the kids. Also, you can download the Gospel Project for Kids App or contact Sara for additional info!
Theme: Prophets and Kings
- September 4: Elijah Confronted Evil Ahab (1 Kings 18)
- Main Point: The one true God defeated the prophets of Baal.
- September 11: Elijah Ran from Jezebel (1 Kings 19)
- Main Point: God revealed Himself to Elijah in a whisper.
- September 18: Elisha and Naaman (2 Kings 5)
- Main Point: God healed Naaman’s skin disease.
- September 25: God Called Isaiah (Isaiah 6)
- Main Point: Isaiah saw the holy God in His glory.
- October 2: Isaiah Preached About the Messiah (Isaiah 53)
- Main Point: God said the Messiah wold be a suffering servant.
- October 9: Hezekiah, Judah’s Faithful King (2 Kings 18-19)
- Main Point: God answered Hezekiah’s Prayer.
- October 16: Hosea, Prophet to Israel (Hosea 1-14)
- Main Point: God loves people when they do not deserve it.
- October 23: Jonah, Prophet to Nineveh (Jonah 1-4)
- Main Point: God showed mercy to the Ninevites.
- October 30: Joel, Prophet to Judah (Joes 1-3)
- Main Point: God warned His people to depend before the Day of the Lord.
- November 6: God Called Jeremiah (Jeremiah 1)
- Main Point: God chose Jeremiah as a prophet to the nations.
- November 13: Jeremiah Prophesied a New Covenant (Jeremiah 17:1-10; 31:31-34)
- Main Point: God promised a new and better covenant.
- November 20: Judah Was Taken Into Captivity (2 Chronicles 36:1-21)
- Main Point: God sent Judah into captivity because of their sin.
- November 27: Ezekiel Told About a Future Hope (Ezekiel 37)
- Main Point: God planned to bring His people back to their land and give them new life.